Sunday 24 August 2008

My First Survival Horror Experience


I'm a late bloomer in almost everything I do and gaming is one of 'em. It was 2004 when I bought my Playstation 2 and the last time I played a game was in 1991 when I got a Sega Megadrive for Christmas.
I tried all sorts of flops when I bought it - Sonic Heroes, Smackdown: Here comes the pain and Need For Speed. I started to buy the Official Magazine to find out what games were actually worth the £40 I was paying for them. One thing managed to catch my eye however and I pursued to read it.
It was a preview of the fourth game in a successful series called Silent Hill. It was only half a page but it was a picture that was brought to my attention, the Doublehead (pictured)- A monster that was due to be in the game.
The games I last played as a kid were Sonic the Hedgehog, Alex Kidd and Ecco the Dolphin and this was nothing like the characters in these games.
Anyway - It got me interested and I read it and I thought the games sound really good. After that I would always read on if Silent Hill 4: The Room was mentioned.
Eventually, a demo was given out with the magazine and I finally managed to get hands on with this game. The demo was really interesting and gripped me immediately - The man coming out of the wall in your apartment in which you are currently trapped.
It was hard however and I found that I got nowhere quite quickly. When the game was finally released I found myself doubting whether I should actually buy it. I thought it would be too hard (I was known for giving up quite easily) and therefore a waste of money. A couple of days later, I bit the bullet and went to the shop to get it.
These are my thoughts on the game.....


What was your first Survival Horror game?
Did you like it?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

clock tower ^__^ sooo creepy!

sakurashounen said...

my first horror game was clock tower to super nes.