Online gaming Magazine G4tv (http://g4tv.com) had the chance of meeting Tom Hulett, Associate Producer at Konami, US when they were over at E3 earlier this year.
Tom gives a whole load of new information on the game and how it works and you can find the video below. However, here are the highlights:
- Alternate Silent Hill has changed from a hellish abyss to an Ice World of some sort. This is the only change I am particularly wary of.
- The Monsters that have been shown so far are not the be all and end all. Monsters start of formless but change in appearance depending on the gamers actions. This is to go with the overall idea that the Monsters of Silent Hill represent the Protagonists conscience.
- The Monsters are much more intelligent than Monsters in the previous games. They will work as a team in order to get at you, splitting up to catch you off guard.
- Even though combat isn't available in this game, you can shake them off when Monsters dive on top of you. You can also barricade doors, a la RE4 to stop them from following you and Flares can be used to keep them at a distance - Tom says they don't like the heat.
- The Wii version of the game allows you to pick up items and manipulate them yourself. One scene shows you having to pick up cans and see if there's a key in any of them by shaking any of them.
- Harry has a mobile phone in this game which has a variety of features. You can dial phone numbers if you come across one. You can receive voice mails and messages to freak you out even more. There is a camera, a phonebook and your map can be accessed as well. Your menu is also on this phone so you can change your settings and save the game.
- Maps can viewed on the move like a GPS system. When you move, your character position moves with you whilst your still viewing the map. The Wiimote also allows you to make notes on the map such as places of interest.
- Fatal Frame has influenced your camera mode. In some places in the game there are some things that can only be found when you take a picture. There is a scene with a swing set that shows you an example.
See for yourself:
I also found a trailer from E3 on YouTube too which shows you a bit more of the plot. Watch out for the woman at the end with short hair. Maria from Silent Hill 2 seems to be the inspiration but who is she? If there's one character Silent Hill fans won't want messing with it's Lisa Garland so let's hope that's not her.
What do you think so far? I can't wait. It looks amazing although there are some things I'm not keen on such as the ice and even character design. Cybil isn't looking too good and if that is Lisa Garland at the end of the trailer, I won't be happy at all. EDIT: That's not Lisa. I've just realised that she calls herself Dahlia. Uh Oh, what do you think of that?